A lot of Lakewood home and business owners don’t hesitate to have pest management because they have valuable interests to protect. Residents have themselves and loved ones to consider. Entrepreneurs have investments, customers, and employees to keep in mind. Most insects are small, but they cause big problems. Several sting or bite. Just as many can ruin possessions or destroy a building. The majority are germy and can bring about illness. German cockroaches aren’t any different.
You may think you know all there is about German cockroaches, but taking a closer look at their behavior and function can be useful. You could learn what attracts them, so you can prevent them with greater success. Further, you can get an understanding of the risks associated with them, and how Bugaboo Pest Control can intervene.
The Appearance, Behavior, & Risks Of German Cockroaches
German cockroaches are the most common home invading roach. They vary in size from 0.51 to 0.62 of an inch long. Their tan or brown bodies feature black stripes behind the head that are horizontal. Their young are black but have these bands as well. The adults have wings, but they are more liable to run than fly.
This cockroach species is infamous for invading properties. They do so in pursuit of a sheltered place that’s warm and has an abundance of food sources. Common entry points are gaps around foundations, windows, doors, and utilities. Some residents inadvertently bring them in by way of furniture, bags, and boxes the creatures have penetrated. Sinks, kitchens, cabinets, and garbage cans are where they tend to hide once they’ve made it inside. Chief infestation signs are as follows:
- Odors. Cockroaches produce chemicals and secretions that have unpleasant scents. “Mustiness” is the most noticeable smell.
- Eggs. Basements, kitchens, and bathrooms are where eggs are usually found, along with egg casings.
- Droppings. These bugs release dark and tiny fecal specks that are similar to pepper. The particles can make small, spotty stains. You’ll likely discover them on counter-tops and door frames. Also, check in drawers and floor corners.
All cockroaches are a threat because they carry illness-causing bacteria on their bodies. Microbes are also in their fecal matter, urine, and saliva. When they scamper through filth, like a garbage can or nasty sewer, the spines on their legs attach to even more germs. Ultimately, these bugs taint food and surfaces when they crawl on it. This opens the door for humans to catch an array of diseases and/or have various health complications. Gastroenteritis, salmonella, viruses, and pathogens are all examples. So are asthma and allergic reactions.
Preventing German Cockroaches
You’ll have to be mindful of your property’s structural quality, lawn maintenance, and cleanliness to defeat German cockroaches. Take these steps to reduce the chances of having to deal with these critters:
- Put food and trash in canisters with secure lids.
- Remove garbage, vacuum, and wash your dishes on a routine basis.
- Keep grass and greenery trimmed. Place flowers and plants at least two feet away from exterior doors.
- Have leaks and fixture issues resolved.
- Attach sweeps to all exterior doors.
- Seal cracks near utilities, doors, windows, and foundations.
Bugaboo Pest Control German Cockroach Extermination
We at Bugaboo Pest Control have expert technicians who use industrial-grade tools to eliminate cockroaches of all kinds. While our treatments are powerful, they are safe for humans and pets. Cockroaches multiply fast and lay in hard to reach areas. They’re tough to control independently, but they’re no obstacle for our team.
Don’t waste your time and money on weak retail products and dangerous “do it yourself” methods! Contact the professionals! Call today for a free quote, and to learn more about our home pest control or commercial pest control options!