Lakewood homeowners are always looking for ways to protect their homes and families from potential dangers, including pests. One of the most dangerous pests in the area is the subterranean termite. These pests can cause a lot of damage to homes and can be very difficult to get rid of.
If you notice any signs of subterranean termites, it’s best to contact qualified Lakewood pest control before you have a full-blown infestation. Bugaboo Pest Control provides effective termite control services for a lasting solution.
Signs Of Subterranean Termites On Your Lakewood Property
There are a few signs you can watch out for to determine if you have a termite problem. They include:
- Mud tubes on the exterior of your home: These tubes are made up of mud and soil, and termites use them to travel between their underground colonies and your home.
- Damaged wood: Termites eat wood from the inside out, so you may see signs of damage like holes or weakened areas in the wood in your home.
- Swarms of winged insects: This is often the first sign that you have a termite infestation. If you see large numbers of winged termites around your home, it’s time to take action.
- Termite frass: These small, sawdust-like piles of termite waste are another sign of a termite infestation.
- Termite nests: Termites build their nests out of mud and saliva, so you may find small mounds of either near your home.
- Uneven or bubbling in paint or wallpaper: Termites can eat away at the wood substrate under your paint or wallpaper, causing it to bubble.
Should you notice any of these signs, it’s best to contact a qualified termite specialist for termite identification and eradication. Don’t take chances with your home and family.
Why It Is So Hard To Get Rid Of Subterranean Termites
Subterranean termites are some of the most challenging pests to get rid of. This is because:
- They live in colonies of up to several million members. This makes them difficult to control with traditional methods. It also means that they can cause a lot of damage very quickly.
- They build their nests underground, making them hard to find and treat, especially if your property has a lot of landscaping.
- They eat wood from the inside out, making it difficult to treat the affected areas. This can often lead to extensive damage before the problem is caught.
- They are resistant to many common pesticides used to treat termites. So, DIY treatments may not be effective, requiring the help of a termite specialist.
- They can travel long distances underground to find food, making them difficult to contain.
How Do Subterranean Termites Get Into Homes?
Subterranean termites get into homes in multiple ways:
- They may enter through cracks and crevices in the foundation or exterior of your home.
- Subterranean termites might crawl up from underground colonies.
- They can be brought into your home on wood that is infested with termites.
- They’re known to invade through areas where there is water damage.
- Subterranean termites build underground tunnels that they use to access your home.
- They may fly into your home looking for food.
- Termites can be brought in on plants or construction materials.
- They can get into your home through the HVAC system.
Some homeowners tend to think that subterranean termites will not invade their home because it’s “too new.” This is not the case. Termites are opportunistic pests and will take advantage of any opportunity to infest a home, regardless of the home’s age. Hence, it is crucial to be proactive and have your home inspected regularly for early termite removal.
Who To Call About Subterranean Termites
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to wait until you have a termite problem to call a pest control company.
If you are concerned that you may have an issue with subterranean termites, it’s best to contact a qualified professional for termite identification. Bugaboo Pest Control is a qualified Lakewood pest control contractor that can help you with termite removal — for good. Contact us today for unmatched services.