Termites are important decomposers, breaking down organic material. Although this is the case, they are not so helpful to people when it comes to homes and buildings, causing billions of dollars worth of damage each year.
Eastern subterranean termites are the most common species in the area. These termites nest underground and use mud tubes to travel from their nest to the food source, as they do not nest in the wood as drywood termites do. They have a saw-like jaw, which they use to break off small pieces of wood.
Termites are often confused for ants due to their appearance. This is especially true for termite swarmers, which are flying reproductive members that many people might misidentify as flying ants. However, they are a member of the roach family.
While in some parts of the world, termites are considered a delicacy in Lakewood; this pest is terrible news for property owners. To keep termites from being a problem in your home, you should know the signs of an infestation.
Should I Schedule A Termite Inspection?
Most often, termite activity goes unnoticed for some time. There are several signs of a termite infestation that all homeowners should be aware of:
- Damaged and hollow-sounding wood
- Buckling walls, bubbling paint, and peeling wallpaper
- Mud tubes on the exterior of your home
- Termite swarmers, which look like flying ants, dropped wings, and pepper-like waste
- Holes and maze-like tunnels in wood
It would help if you kept an eye out for any of these signs; however, it can be challenging to identify a termite problem correctly. This is why annual inspections are essential. With yearly visits from pest experts, you can keep your Lakewood property protected against a termite infestation.
Should I Try To Get Rid Of Termites?
Many people try to get rid of termites on their own if they have successfully done so with other pests. Common ways people attempt to do this are using chemical termite-killing products and natural methods. Natural methods often include vinegar, borates, orange oil, and using wet cardboard to bait termites.
While some of these methods might help you kill off a few pests, they won’t eliminate the entire infestation. To remove this pest from your home, you need to understand the full scope and severity of the infestation, how they are getting in, and the damage they have caused. Because termites can cause be so ruinous, it can be dangerous to inspect an infestation on your own, which is why you should leave this work to the professionals.
Should I Call Professionals About Termites?
The best way to handle a termite infestation is with professional assistance. Contact Bugaboo Pest Control at the first sign of a termite problem or schedule an inspection. We offer specialized control for this sneaky pest that can devastate your home.
Our termite control offers at Bugaboo Pest Control include:
- A complete inspection for signs of damage and mud tubes.
- One treatment method is using a liquid that is inserted into the foundation of your home.
- Another treatment is using bait stations around the perimeter of your home.
- Both treatment methods come with a one-year warranty.
- Pre-construction treatments that treat the ground before the foundation is pored and your home’s frame before it is enclosed.
- Wood-destroying insect reports helping you buy or sell your home.
Let the experts at Bugaboo Pest Control keep your Lakewood property protected against termites. Call us today to learn more about our services and set up an inspection.