Every creature deals with danger differently. Armadillos roll themselves into a ball; squirrels flee to the tops of trees, squids shoot ink out around them, and run away. Some creatures fight back when they feel threatened, such as wasps. If you don’t know much about wasps but know you don’t want them buzzing around your property, you are in the right place.
Common Wasps Around Lakewood
Wasps are stinging insects with pinched midsections and smooth, hard exoskeletons. The three most common species of wasps here in Lakewood are yellow jackets, paper wasps, and bald-faced hornets. Of these three pests, bald-faced hornets are the largest, yellow jackets are the most aggressive, and paper wasps are the most common. You can identify paper wasps by their brown bodies and yellow or red markings, while hornets have black bodies and a white pattern on their face. You can easily spot yellow jackets by their distinct black and yellow body markings.
Problems Wasps Cause
This might come as a shock, but wasps offer more benefits than they do problems. They not only assist in the pollination of plants, but they also keep insect populations down around properties. Unfortunately, they also sting humans. Because of this one downside, wasps are considered by many to be the worst pests you could have on your property.
For individuals who are allergic to wasp venom, a single sting is enough to require a hospital visit. If you do not know if you are allergic or not, consult with your doctor to find out for certain.
How To Prevent Wasps
Wasps choose where they build their nests based on the available food sources nearby. If your property has fruit trees, an abundance of insects, scraps of food, sweat beverages, or flowering plants, wasps will be much more likely to invade.
To detract wasps from settling down in your yard, use these simple prevention tips:
- Pick up fruit as it falls from trees into your yard.
- Clean up thoroughly after outdoor gatherings.
- Consider removing flowers and other budding plants from your property.
- Keep your grass cut short.
- Trim back bushes and trees from your home’s exterior.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures in and around your house.
- Eliminate sources of standing water.
Keeping Wasps Out Of Your Home
Although not extremely common, wasps will occasionally enter homes and build their nests within wall voids and attics. To make sure this doesn’t happen to you, apply these exclusion methods around your property:
- Use wire mesh and a caulking gun to fill in gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation and spacing around window and door frames.
- Make sure all of your window and door screens are intact.
- Install door sweeps under exterior doors if you have not already.
- Repair or replace weatherstripping around your home that is damaged.
- Address any roof damage and make sure to seal your roofline properly.
- Keep windows and doors closed as much as possible.
The Benefits Of Professional Wasp Control
If wasps have invaded your Lakewood property, take a moment to consider the benefits of professional wasp control. The last thing we want here at Bugaboo Pest Control is for you to get hurt trying to handle wasps on your own. For a fast and easy solution to your wasp problems, let our team help. Our team has the safety equipment and training required to quickly and safely remove any size wasp problem on your property.