The Secret To Keeping Pavement Ants Away From Your Lakewood, NJ Home
Although larger, more aggressive-looking pests usually attract Lakewood homeowners' attention, smaller insects working together need to have our attention as well. Here are some helpful preventative measures for effective ant control from our team of experts at Bugaboo Pest Control.
Identifying Pavement Ants
Pavement ants, also referred to as sugar ants, are some of the most prevalent pests in backyards. Approximately 2.5 to 3 mm in total length, these tiny hooligans range in color schemes of black and dark brown to tan and dark red. Many homeowners find themselves unable to distinguish between these and other common species of Lakewood ants due to the similar build of the bugs.
However, there are some definitive characteristics that help to differentiate pavement ants from their ant cousins:
- Most appendages, including legs and antennae, are a lighter color than the rest of the exoskeleton.
- Long, dark lines reach from the top of the head to the end of the thorax.
- Tiny points referred to as spines jut out from the end of the pavement ant’s thorax.
- Instead of nesting out in the open soil, pavement ants make their homes in the cracks and gaps of sidewalks, driveways, and patios.
As their name suggests, these ants prefer to build colonies underneath the warm and undisturbed soils of heavy pavements. Alternative nesting sites may include areas inside your home as well, including floors, walls, and insulated spaces. The activity of pavement ants creates huge problems for homeowners and their properties, both out in the yard and inside the home. A shortlist of these concerns include:
- The ability of the ants to both sting and bite when threatened
- Entering the home in large numbers, scouting for food or water
Food contamination, including pet foods
- Unsightly appearances in the lawn
- If pavement ants have made an appearance anywhere on your driveway, sidewalk, or lawn, it will be imperative to nip the infestation in the bud to prevent larger problems down the road.
Preventing Pavement Ants On Your Lakewood Property
Although pavement ants can be tricky pests to manage, the secrets to keeping them away from your Lakewood home begin with you.
- Any standing water, inside the home or out, can attract large colonies of pavement ants. Fix any leaky pipes or clogged drains by yourself or with a reputable repairman, taking pains to maintain the structures over time.
- If pavement ants are already on your property, the chances of them finding their way into your home are very high. Take time to patch up any holes or cracks that could provide passage to and from the interior of the house.
- Garbage bags should be tightly sealed and disposed of in their proper bins to prevent attracting ant colonies. Foods that are particularly sweet, fatty, or rich in protein are a fan favorite among these pests.
Preventing pavement ants from infesting a property is a challenge and likely will require planning, preparation, and monitoring. In fact, at times, it is almost an impossible undertaking to pursue on your own because of how tiny and numerous this species of insect is.
Safely Eliminate Ants With Bugaboo Pest Control
Pavement ants may not seem like a pest that homeowners need to actively think about, but the truth is that ants of any kind can cause discomfort and contamination issues. These concerns should not be allowed to establish or continue for any length of time.
If you are concerned that pavement ants will or have already begun to become a nuisance around your home or business, contact the professionals at Bugaboo Pest Control for the comprehensive help you deserve.
Our licensed agents are standing by to increase the quality of your life through the investigation, innovation, and application of products meant to improve your unique lifestyle. Call today to speak with a service agent to learn more about our year-round pest control options.