Is It Dangerous To Have Crickets In My Lakewood Home?
When thinking about crickets, one of the first things that comes to mind is probably the chirping sound they make. This obnoxious sound can be quite grating if crickets are spending time around your Lakewood home, but crickets aren’t just annoying.
While some pests in the area are mostly considered a nuisance, crickets can cause both destruction around a property and pose health risks. This means knowing how to identify and prevent them is essential. This guide will give you all the information you need to know about crickets invading your home and what you can do to keep them out.
What Do Crickets Look Like?
While there are many distinct species of crickets found throughout the world, the house cricket is the one that you’ll likely encounter as a homeowner. These crickets are light brown to yellow across their bodies, and they have three black stripes on their heads. They are generally smaller than ¾ of an inch long.
This species makes a loud chirping noise as they rub their front wings together, but it’s only the males of the species that do this.
The Problems Crickets Cause For Homeowners
Of course, the most obvious issue is that the incessant noise is no fun. It can even mess with getting a good night’s sleep and can make it nearly impossible to relax around your house, but the other problems crickets bring around are even worse.
They can cause property damage as they will chew through many different items. They will also consume many different food items, which means anything they get into is contaminated and needs to be thrown out. Plus, they can damage everything from furniture and plastic to clothing.
Lastly, crickets can spread pathogens. The good thing is that they don’t spread any fatal illnesses, but they can leave you with painful sores on your skin. Because of this, it’s not a good idea to touch crickets or have them around at all.
Six Cricket Prevention Steps
Crickets can be invasive, and because they can hide in so many small spaces, it’s hard to eradicate them without home pest control help. However, there are some things you can do to deter crickets from coming around in the first place.
Here are six of the best cricket prevention steps:
- Try to keep outdoor lighting to a minimum and make sure that lights are facing away from entrances.
- Clutter provides areas for crickets to hide, so clean up around the house as well as in garages, sheds, and around the property.
- Crickets prefer humid environments, so use dehumidifiers and make sure crawl space and basements are well-ventilated.
- Get rid of entry points by sealing holes in the walls and foundation with caulk or foam insulation. Also, repair or replace torn and broken screens in doors and windows.
- Clean up organic debris from around the yard, such as dead leaves and grass clippings.
- Get help from the experts at Bugaboo Pest Control.
The Simplest Way To Deal With Crickets In Lakewood
If you already have crickets around your property, the experts at Bugaboo Pest Control can handle them in no time. We also offer ongoing pest assistance year-round to keep crickets and other pests from living around your home.
Find out more about our services and even request a quote by contacting us today.